Gabe Gervelis (@ggervelis) is the Director of Sales & Marketing at Evocalize, a SAAS that provides embedded digital advertising technology to CRMs, portals, and marketplaces.
To simplify that, it’s a SAAS that creates highly targeted display ad via embedded Facebook and Google ads. There is really nothing really like it, you can learn more about what they do and how they can help your business create new revenue here.
Prior to Evocalize, Gabe founded and lead teams at several digital ad agencies around SEO, audience targeting, and content marketing. After building his client-base to over 50 (including major airlines and retailers), he crossed over to the dark side and decided to help brands grow from the inside, as their Director of Marketing (Aduro Life, Decisive Data, Evocalize).
We break down search engine optimization, a quick history of how this has changed over the past 20 years, and a series of decisions a startup has to go through in order to maximize their SEO and be ranked well on Google.
This episode is particularly valuable for 1) a founder or marketer seeking a basic understanding of SEO and the key role it’ll play in organic lead generation (new customers), or 2) anyone wanting to understanding internet marketing and it’s evolution over the past 2 decades.
Please help grow the show with me…
by reviewing the show on Apple Podcasts! If you leave a written review, it’ll enter you into a $50 Amazon gift card contest, which we’ll announce the winner of every other Thursday.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, or on your favorite podcast platform.
- What influence did Russell Benaroya have on who you are today? [5:32]
- Where do you think Russell Benaroya got his mentorship from? [8:13]
- How did you get into marketing to begin with? [10:48]
- Was the moment that changed your career, Mobile Penguins? [12:44]
- What is Search Engine Optimization and why is it important? [16:10]
- What makes SEO a (perceived) complicated field? [17:55]
- There are foundational elements of SEO that are most essential to focus on 1st [20:02]
- Why do you have to have a philosophy in place to do SEO well? [22:11]
- What SEO philosophy do you follow? [24:55]
- How does a startup with a B2B customer grow using SEO? In known market… [26:26]
- Where does someone start with keyword research? [29:53]
- How do you figure out the right keywords to start listing out? [31:58]
Links from Episode
- Connect with Gabe: LinkedIn | Twitter | Medium
- Russell Benaroya
- Who are the Benaroyas?
- Gervelis Search Marketing
- Blink Tattoo Removal
- Seattle Chamber of Commerce
- What is SEO?
- Internet Advancement – A Scam to Avoid
- Mobile Penguins (now defunct)
- 501(c)(3) Compliant
- SEO Moz
- Rand Fishkin
- What is technical SEO?
- What is on-page SEO?
- What are SEO ranking factors?
- What is demand generation?
- What is channel marketing?
- What is content generation?
- What is a sitemap?
- What is keyword research?
- What is an inbound link?
- What are long-tail keywords?
- How blogging helps boost SEO
- Content Fuel
- Google Ads Keyword Planner
- Wordstream Keyword Tool
- See’s Candies
- Google Search for “Chocolate”
- What are rich snippets?
- Theo Chocolate
- Fran’s Chocolate
What was your favorite quote or lesson from the episode? Let me know in the comments.