Missed part 1? Click here!
This is our new, special season of The Daily Marketer, where we’ve spoken with over a dozen marketplace leaders & pioneers from Uber, Convoy, Bellhop, Doordash, Rover, as well as rising stars, so to gather proven blueprints, hacks & tactics to growing a marketplace. Enjoy!
Shauna Causey is the founder & CEO of WEEKDAYS, the leading micro-schools marketplace with the largest network of teachers who meet 6-8 students in small learning programs in a neighborhood home or small classroom.
The early days of the company go back to Madrona Venture Labs when Shauna, who was a Partner, couldn’t find a daycare or preschool nearby with an opening, so she decided to solve her own problem.
Shauna has a long history of being an executive, advisor, partner at landmark brands like Nordstrom, Comcast, and Google. Later, she got deeply involved in startups @ Decide (acquired by eBay) & Startup Weekend.
Over the course of 18 months, WEEKDAYS has grown to over 2,000 teachers in multiple major markets like Seattle, Denver, Los Angeles, & San Francisco, while developing programs across the rest of the country.
We dive deep into micro-schools…the challenges of building a skilled-worker marketplace, “accelerated growth” during COVID-19, the “childcare desert”, maturing a marketplace and ensuring “quality” over quantity.
This episode is particularly valuable for anyone who wants to learn from an experienced marketer launching a marketplace. specifically anyone who wants to learn the proven product & marketing details unfolding in a marketplace, “in the thick” of the early days.
Please help grow the show with us…by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Had you always planned for (WEEKDAYS) to be a marketplace? [1:28]
- Why is (educator) churn so high? [3:21]
- How do you manage quality (of educators)? [4:40]
- Holy grail of a unskilled workforce, is them supporting each other [7:11]
- How are you finding your flywheel? [8:16]
- Do wait lists entice other educators? [11:51]
- Can educators get benefits? Are they independent contractors? [13:42]
- What is the scaling plan? What is being a Founding Family? [16:52]
- A founding family can not only be a customer, but an educator? [18:48]
- Building an engine metaphor, and how they’ve partnered with Ada Developers Program [19:32]
- How are you going to get more customers and educators? [21:28]
- Rapid Mayhem questions! [23:31]
- What’s the next big step-change in marketplaces? [32:00]
- Where can we find you? Any asks of the audience? [36:14]
Links from Episode
- Connect with Shauna: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Micro Classes
- Average churn for educators
- Maker Week
- What is a flywheel
- Bright Horizons
- What is a market rate
- What is an independent contractor
- Platform Scale by Sangeet Choudary
- Ada Developers Program
- Child care desert infographic by Center for American Progress
- What is partnership marketing
- Cloud Chandelier
- Sidecar (defunct)
- Love Home Swap (family home exchange)
- Luxe (valet marketplace)
- Clubhouse (social audio app)
- What is augmented reality
- Parker Dewey (micro-internships)
- The history of chat rooms
What marketplace lesson did you learn in this episode? Comment below 🙂