Ready for part 2? Click here!
Michael Goulden is the co-founder of Kerbo Charge, a UK startup providing electric car charging for people with no off-street parking. Their secret sauce lies in their patented high strength polycarbonate duct through a small channel in a sidewalk, to your EV charging port. Voila! 👩🎨
Kerbo Charge (KC) was founded in 2021 because of a shared frustration of how difficult it is to charge your car at home, in a crowded metro like London. Founding team Michael, Roger Brown and Maya De Paz are on a mission to make it easy for everyone in the UK to charge their EV. No more range anxiety needed (more on that later).
We dive deep into…who the hell was William Morrison? What else is needed to make EVs more accessible? Regulation-wise, what is KC having to deal with? How is being part of the Milton Keynes Accelerator Program, accelerating KC? What is the investor landscape right now for something innovative like this?
This episode is particularly valuable for…electric vehicle owners or enthusiasts who have been scratching their heads of how to charge an EV with street parking, as well as any entrepreneur who has been curious about the EV charger space but unsure of where to get started (especially from a regulation or product point-of-view).
A highly innovative startup early in its life. We hope you enjoy this one! 🚘
- [3:05] Who is William Morrison?
- [5:52] What got you interested in the sustainability space?
- [6:53] How many cans were you crushing?
- [7:50] How was can crushing a connection you made to climate?
- [8:21] Which EV did you have?
- [9:46] Has climate change affected your life so far?
- [10:54] What’s the Kerbo Charge origin story?
- [12:39] How did you figure out pricing?
- [13:28] What else are you guys solving?
- [16:57] Can you talk a little more about ‘access’ to EV chargers?
- [19:57] What is Kerbo Charge thinking about battery size?
- [22:49] Is there a Kerbo Charge model where people pull into a neighborhood, instead of a charging station?
- [24:43] Does Kerbo Charge work with Tesla’s?
- [26:01] Have you guys explored fleets? Ex. buses
Links from Episode
- Connect with Michael: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Follow Kerbo Charge: LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
- Kerbo Charge website
- Morrisons (grocery chain)
- William Morrison
- Thomas Parker
- Why it’s so difficult to identify the inventor of the electric car
- Beelivery acquires competitor, Pinga
- What a can crusher looks like
- Volkswagen e-Golf
- Volkswagen ID.4
- What is a public charge point
- EV charging cost calculator
- Father-son drive from L.A. to Seattle (GeekWire article)
- Ford Mustang Mach-E
- Lithium Ion Batteries
- Fluoride Ion Batteries
- Flow Batteries
- What Is Level 1, 2, 3 Charging
- Type/Level 2 Charger (Amazon)
- Mobile EV Charger
Have you considered getting an EV? What’s stopping you? Comment for your thoughts 🙏🏽