Ready for part 2? Click here!
Reeves Clippard is the co-founder & CEO of A&R Solar, the highest rated and most prolific solar installation company in the Northwest. Aside from being an early-mover in the space (mid-2000s), they’re also certified B Corp, employee owned, and have the greatest ride-or-die customers that rave about them in every cul du sac of the internet. A purpose-driven company from day 1, when they started A&R Solar in 2007 they had 3 goals:
- Deliver exceptional value to customers
- Treat employees like family
- Do their part to help change the world
15 years later, they’ve blown all 3 out of the water and continue to treat their customers, employees, and planet with the utmost respect. A self-proclaimed renewables geek, Reeves 1st cut his teeth as a solar panel installer where he realized the massive future potential of solar. He jumped into the deep end & started A&R Solar soon after with Andy Yatteau.
We dive deep into…How are selling mattresses & A&R solar related? What’s the ‘solar coaster’? Why do we need to prop up the solar roof industry, with government subsidies? What’s the consumer appetite for solar panels? And finally, how does Reeves balance making money AND being good for the planet?
This episode is particularly valuable for…anyone who believes the work they do everyday should serve a greater purpose and want to hear from an everyday Jack who’s proved it’s possible, or anyone who’s considered installing solar panels but never pulled the trigger! We’re happy to connect you to Reeves if you have a change of heart 💙
Na zdraví (Czech for ‘cheers)! It would mean a lot if you subscribed on Spotify or your favorite podcast app. It keeps us motivated to create new episodes for you 🙏🏼
- [3:26] Where do you come from?
- [4:35] You grew up all over the South. How come?
- [5:27] Moving around was a ‘cultural value’ of your family?
- [7:15] How to make a house a home.
- [8:34] How are selling mattresses & A&R solar related?
- [10:38] What is the ‘sollercoaster’?
- [14:02] How has climate change affected your life? When did you start thinking about these issues.
- [18:15] You installed solar panels for a period of time?
- [21:37] What was the start of A&R Solar?
- [25:36] On the business side, what was the gap you were filling?
- [28:40] What it meant to be “people 1st”
- [29:06] Ty’s story of hiring A&R Solar for a solar panel installation
- [31:20] Owning up to mistakes and coming up with a solution as soon as possible, increases the number of solutions possible
- [33:17] What are your learnings over the past 15 years?
- [36:10] How customers have changed over time. Personas of customers
Links from Episode
- Connect with Reeves: LinkedIn
- Follow A&R Solar: LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
- Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina
- Purple (mattresses)
- What is a tariff
- What is renewable energy
- What is biodiesel
- What are the trades
- Puget Sound Solar
- Solar Energy International
- Jeremy Smithson
- Andy Yatteau (Co-founder of A&R Solar)
- Companies We Keep, by John Abrams
- HENRYs (high earnings, not rich yet)
- What is B Corp Certification
Have you installed solar panels on your home or business? If so, what benefits have you noticed? We’d love to hear below.